The promise of machine learning is being brought into sharp relief by developments in theory and application.
A wide range of industries, from self-driving automobiles to intelligent business applications, have the potential to be transformed by the field. Even the concept of machine learning might vary from person to person due to its complexity and breadth.
The interviews in this special feature explore ideas and inventions that represent the cutting edge of more intelligent robots. Through the views of some of this field's top thinkers, you'll get a unique look into this fascinating area.
These ten practitioners and theorists discuss the following subjects in their interviews:
- Anima Anandkumar: high-dimensional problems and non-convex optimization
- Yoshua Bengio: Natural Language Processing and deep learning
- Brendan Frey: deep learning meets genomic medicine
- Risto Miikkulainen: the startling creativity of evolutionary algorithms
- Ben Recht: a synthesis of machine learning and control theory
- Daniela Rus: the autonomous car as a driving partner
- Gurjeet Singh: using topology to uncover the shape of your data
- Ilya Sutskever: the promise of unsupervised learning and attention models
- Oriol Vinyals: sequence-to-sequence machine learning
- Reza Zadeh: the evolution of machine learning and the role of Spark