Worldwide, the number of mobile devices is three times more than that of desktop and laptop computers, however, there is limited information available for planning and building mobile applications.
This gap is filled by Mobile Design and Development, which offers useful standards, methods, and best practices for creating mobile products from scratch. You'll discover fundamental design and development principles in this book for all mobile platforms and devices. Additionally, you'll examine the more sophisticated features of the mobile web, such as mobile Ajax, advanced styling methods, and markup.
Mobile Design and Development gives you the skills you need to work with this quickly evolving technology, whether you're a web designer, web developer, information architect, product manager, usability expert, content publisher, or entrepreneur new to the mobile web. You'll benefit from mobile design and development if:
- Understand how the mobile ecosystem works, how it differs from other mediums, and how to design products for the mobile context
- Learn the pros and cons of building native applications sold through operators or app stores versus mobile websites or web apps
- Work with flows, prototypes, usability practices, and screen-size-independent visual designs
- Use and test cross-platform mobile web standards for older devices, as well as devices that may be available in the future
- Learn how to justify a mobile product by building it on a budget