We predicted that Asterisk will revolutionize telecommunications a few years ago. This is no longer accurate. Asterisk is telephony's future.
Asterisk provides a tonne of capabilities that can allow you to tailor your PBX to meet very particular business requirements. This concise cookbook provides instructions for dealing with dialplan basics, placing and managing calls, and keeping track of channels in your PBX setup. Each recipe includes a straightforward piece of code that you can use right away, as well as a thorough explanation of why and how it functions.
This book contains a compilation of instructions for setting up and running Asterisk servers for VoIP, analog telephony, and other applications on scales ranging from the domestic to the commercial:
- Skype for Asterisk
- Fax capabilities (T.38)
- Clustering with Open AIS
- Jabber integration and XMPP
- Heartbeat cluster infrastructure (LinuxHA, failover)
- ISN and ENUM -- methods of circumventing the PSTN by dialing SIP URIs with numbers
- The security profile for Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP)
- Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6)